Well, it’s been ages coming, but it’s finally here. Elonex have released V0.47 of the 511EB software.
V0.47 was released on 12th March 2010. The previous firmware (V0.41) was released on 18th January 2010. The next release should include note taking functionality.
This firmware update resolves some issues when processing very large eBooks, word wrapping issues and some minor bugs with symbols. You can now mount the eBook on Linux – I don’t know about Mac. It also adds a new menu item “Digital Editions” for any DRM’d eBooks you may have rented.
Search with ePubs.
Jump directly to chapters within ePubs (Menu – See List).
Search within PDFs.
The system font looks clearer to me.
The default font is smaller and clearer
Auto Shutdown is can now be set to 40 minutes, 60 minutes or never.
Let me know in the comments if you spot any more!
So, how do you install the new firmware?
- Download the .zip file from Elonex.
- Unzip the file – there will be two files inside update.bin and update.cde.
- Plug your 511EB into your computer via the USB cable (or insert the microSD card into your computer)
- Place these two files in the root directory of your SD card. This means the very top directory.
- Unmount the eReader or SD card. Place the microSD card back in the reader.
- From the main menu of your 511EB go to “5 Settings“
- Press the right arrow twice, then the down arrow twice so you’re on “System Maintenance“.
- Press “1” to update the firmware.
- Here’s a video of what happens
- Your reader is now updated!
I updated from the orignal software, which was
System ver: 2.21
Software ver: 0.35
My eReader now shows
Hardware ver: 2.21
System ver: 0.47
Software ver: 0.47
If you have any problems, you can call Elonex on 0871 222 3456