Building a physical <blink> tag!

by @edent | # # # # | 26 comments | Read ~1,365 times.

This is the latest of my many terrible lockdown-induced ideas. I'm saving money on commuting. So I'm spending it on tech-crap I really don't need. I bought a new laptop sticker.

Anyway, enough waffle, here's the end result:

This uses 2-frame lenticular printing.

History

No browser supports the <blink> element any more. It used to make text blink. It was a silly idea that got out of hand.

And now I have summoned it back to life in physical form. I am bad.
Please don't report me to the W3C.

Cost

Lenticular printing is expensive. Most places I found in the UK quoted me around £4 per sticker - but with a minimum order of 100. Youch! They used to give these away free with cereal packets, right?

I contacted a couple of sellers on Alibaba. They quoted around £2.20 per sticker - but with minimum quantities in the thousands. I'd probably have to pay import duty as well.

Eventually, I found TwenT3. Their costs were a much more reasonable £100 for 100 cards. Also, they were the only place which were willing to sell me a single business card, as a sample. Total cost? A fiver - including postage!

I then used some double-sided tape to stick it to my new Linux laptop.

E-Ink

I did consider Eink - but even small displays are expensive. And frequent refreshes can damage the screen. I wanted to stick this to the back of a laptop, and I couldn't find a thin, battery powered board.

What's the point?

SHUT UP! YOU CAN'T TELL ME WHAT TO DO!

26 thoughts on “Building a physical <blink> tag!

1. FJ!! says:

I really don't know what to feel now.

2. Can’t decide if evil or genius . Maybe evil genius ?

3. this is damaging my health

4. zdıɟ says:

what kind of witchcraft is this? When I blink, it blinks at exactly the same time - Are you releasing the source code?

5. Gordon Rae says:

Why couldn't I have had this in 1997?

6. Kit Eason says:

How about a <center> tag that's a ball bearing balanced on a positive camber. 😀

7. Love it. Especially the last point you make on the write up 🙂

8. Now that's the best use of that cornflake packet tech from the 1970's I've seen!

I also liked your Linux laptop review - handy to have an alternative to the Dells that I usually recommend to folk.

shkspr.mobi/blog/2020/05/r…

9. That is lovely 🙂

10. Jon says:

I need need need this as a badge. I need it. Shut up and take my money!

11. SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!!!!!

12. <money>Take mine</money>

13. After reading, I searched <blink> on google.
    Results have blink text blinking. 😮
    @edent

14. What’s the right word for “remembered pain from the (browser) wars?”

15. Solona says:

That's hilarious!

16. Alex Smith says:

Thanks, I hate it.

17. This is great. (And the eventually sneered-upon blink tag in HTML is what Google named Chrome’s Blink rendering engine after.)

18. I... you... what... WHY...

Nevermind. Just... I'm gonna go drink the industrial solvents until I dissolve the memory of this from my brainmeat.

19. mauvedeity says:

Every time you think that the world has reached peak awesome bonkers, something new comes along.

20. 2 of the best things ever, combined. Blink tags and lenticulars. Reeeeally wanted to do lenticulars at Moo. Those were the days. Print: still not dead, shock.

21. Jeremy Gould says:

I am having a geocities acid flashback

22. Imperica says:

Ha ha ha. Superb.

23. Oh my gosh. Retro web animation irl. I love this so much.