A few years ago, we installed solar panels on our roof in Oxford - I've enjoyed blogging about them. I've released open data from them, inspected them with a drone, and measured what happened during a solar eclipse. They've even been on the BBC!
But the best thing I did, was release this little Twitter bot.
Today I generated 17.37kWh of solar electricity & earned £3.24 pic.twitter.com/j7FS0YdoIj
— Edent's Solar Panels (@Edent_Solar) July 11, 2019
At sunset every day, it created a graph of the day's solar power.
Well, last year we moved house and left the panels behind. After a few months of planning and saving, we had new panels fitted. This is the first in a series of blog posts detailing their installation and configuration.
SolarWatt 320 Watt panels - 16 of them.
Delivered in a couple of great big pallets:
Close-up of the gorgeousness:
Sadly, we no longer have a south facing roof. Because of the East / West split, we have panels on both sides. Normally panels are bolted on top of the roof. The structure of our roof supports were judged to be a bit delicate, so tiles were removed and panels fitted in their place. I rather like the look:
The panels each weigh 20KG - considerably lighter than the tiles they replaced.
We now have lots of spare Redland Delta tiles.
Free to a good home!
*sight* This did not go well. We'd had a brief inspection of our consumer unit and it was judged to be complex, but basically fine. It was not fine.
The electrician spent lots of time swearing about crossed neutrals, incorrectly placed bus-bars, and inadequate RCDs. We spent rather too long with the power off, occasionally flickering on, only to trip again.
What should have been a day-and-a-half job, turned into 3 days - the last being extremely stressful. Lesson learned - always get a second opinion on anything electrical! But, eventually, the power began to flow.
Tune in tomorrow when I'll go through the specification and configuration of the inverter. Fun times!