Back when I worked for them, I was (partly) responsible for some of Vodafone UK’s “Content Control” systems. I didn’t like the system then, and I don’t like them now.
I understand the need that network operators have to protect themselves from bad headlines and give people some control over what they see online. What I dislike is the way it has been implemented.
On trying to access Untappd on my mobile, I got the following error:
Which, when zoomed in, gives me this:
Let’s count the ways this is unhelpful…
- Non-mobile friendly site! Loses extra points as you’d expect a mobile company to get this right.
- Formatting is screwy. Take a look at the source of the page.
- Why don’t Vodafone say who my “mobile service provider” is? They know if it’s them or an MVNO.
- How do I contact Vodafone from this page? Where’s the click to call link?
- Why can’t I switch off content control from here? A link through to Vodafone live or some other service so I can change my preferences.
- Drinking beer while under 18 is not illegal. Given that the Vodafone Content Control is designed to prevent under-18s from seeing “unsuitable”content, why is it blocking an alcohol site?
If pages have to be blocked – at least redirect to a useful page like this:
(I may be biased, I helped to create My Web and My Account).